There were errors with your submission. Please re-check your details and try again.
The restructuring of our staff in China has created the need for another Bear Manager to join our team. This is an exciting opportunity for the right person and will work alongside our 2 other Bear Managers. A highly motivated, experienced, and dedicated animal professional is required to work with rescued Asiatic black bears, Tibetan brown bears and Tibetan macaques at our Chengdu Bear Rescue Centre in Sichuan Province, China.
The position holder will work as part of our Bear & Vet Team and will be responsible for overseeing teams of local bear care staff involved in the daily husbandry and management of the bears within the rescue centre. The position also involves working closely with Bear Team Supervisors and liaising with the resident veterinary team to manage various daily operations. The Bear Manager will report directly to the Bear & Vet Team Director.
Due to Chinese visa requirements, a university degree in a relevant field and proven practical experience of 3 to 5 years are essential for this position.
- Co-coordinating various daily operations:
- Animal care and management;
- Maintenance and adjustment of existing enrichment programs;
- Ordering animal food and other stock as required;
- Supervising volunteers;
- Maintaining bear behavior records & databases.
- Preparing short reports for social media, supporters, or other recipients as required.
- Operant conditioning and formal bear training programmes for a variety of medical, behavioural and management requirements.
- Staff evaluations
- Ensuring morale is maintained within bear care staff;
- Identifying and addressing HR issues with the Bear & Vet Team Director.
- University degree in zoology, biology, conservation, animal behaviour or related field
- Three to five years work experience in a captive wild animal facility or similar working environment
- Computer literacy, including Excel
- Willingness to travel and work offsite or between sites as required
- Strong management skills and the ability to work within a team or independently
- Fluent in English (verbal & written)
- A good sense of humor, excellent communication skills, and the ability to live and work closely with the rest of the team comprising of both foreign and local staff.
- Patience and willingness to work in a different country/culture are essential
Suitable candidates must be able to commit for a minimum of 2 years.
Appointment is paid, full-time, five days a week with (rotational) weekend work.
The following items are included in your full-time contract
Emergency medical insurance
Salary: Not Specified
Job Category: Animal Welfare
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Location: Chengdu Shi
Keywords: animal welfare asia fundraising
Job Expires: Endless
How to Apply:
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
For more information please visit our website www.animalsasia.org
We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Personal data collected will be treated in strict confidence and used solely for recruitment purposes.
Closing date: Open application at the discretion of Animals Asia Foundation.