There were errors with your submission. Please re-check your details and try again.
Animals Asia is seeking a Bear & Vet Team Director for our China Bear Rescue Centre (CBRC), in Chengdu, Sichuan Province. The successful applicant will oversee and manage the bear and veterinary team of over 70 staff members who care for some 200 Asiatic Black Bears rescued from the bear bile industry and resident at CBRC and a former farm in Guangxi Province. The Bear & Vet Team Director role is a dynamic position requiring a unique set of skills, hard work, patience and flexibility.
The Bear & Vet Team Director works closely with the Bear Management Team and Veterinary Team to ensure an integrated approach to the care or the bears. He/She works closely with the Bear Management Team to oversee management plans for the bears, training programmes and ensure protocols and procedures are functional and strictly adhered to.
The Bear & Vet Team Director oversees the nutritional care of the bears with input from the bear managers and veterinary surgeons. He/She coordinates bear and vet team staff and equipment for all bear rescues in conjunction with the Project Director and CEO.
The Bear & Vet Team Director oversees the human resources for the bear team, working closely with the Bear Team Supervisors. The Senior Veterinary Surgeon and the Bear Managers report directly to the Bear & Vet Team Director.
He/She is ultimately responsible for the department budgeting, liaising with fundraising/PR teams both in China and internationally, and the organization’s Finance Director. The Bear &Vet Team Director works closely with the Projects Department regarding all construction in the sanctuary. He/She is also required to work in conjunction with the sanctuary’s General Manager ensure the smooth running of CBRC.
The Bear & Vet Team Director is a key member of the China Bear Strategy programme meeting regularly and providing input to this process.
The Bear & Vet Team Director reports to the CEO.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further details and a full job description.
- A degree in zoology, biology, conservation, animal behaviour or related field
- At least 5 years work experience in a zoo, rescue centre, rehab centre or similar working environment
- Experience in a senior management position
- Strong people management skills to motivate, build capacity and inspire staff
- Experience in preparing and overseeing budgets
- Ability to appreciate bigger picture view of the organisation
- Cultural sensitivity and history of working overseas – Asia desirable, China – preferable.
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to live and work closely with the rest of the team comprising both western and local staff
- A background in charitable work is beneficial
- Suitable candidates must be able to commit for a minimum of 2 years
Appointment is paid, full-time, five (5) days a week with some weekend work applicable.
The following items are included in your full-time contract
Basic on-site accommodation
Emergency medical insurance
Salary: Not Specified
Job Category: Animal Welfare
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Location: Chengdu Shi
Job Expires: 7 days
How to Apply:
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Personal data collected will be treated in strict confidence and used solely for recruitment purposes.
Closing date: 25th March 2018