NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
There were errors with your submission. Please re-check your details and try again.
This is an exciting opportunity to be a key leader at the heart of Trase (Transparency for Sustainable Economies – www.trase.earth), a pioneering transparency initiative run jointly by Global Canopy and the Stockholm Environment Institute (SEI).
The vision of Trase is to be the go-to public supply chain information system for companies, governments, investors and other actors seeking to transition towards more sustainable production, trade and consumption for the world´s major ‘forest-risk’ agricultural commodities. Trase is transforming our understanding of agricultural commodity supply chains by increasing transparency, revealing the links to environmental and social risks in tropical forest regions, and creating opportunities to improve the sustainability of how these commodities are produced, traded and consumed.
The successful candidate will be passionate about the vision of Trase to create positive change, and have the strategic, leadership and creative skills to deliver powerful communications in support of that vision. S/he will be an experienced and creative communications professional, skilled in developing effective strategies, managing teams to deliver complex and challenging communications across regions and institutions, and creating compelling content across different channels.
The role sits within the communications team at Global Canopy, and will work closely with programmatic and communications staff across Global Canopy and SEI.
- Lead the development of the Trase communications strategy and activity plan to drive the uptake of Trase amongst market, government and finance sector leaders.
- Lead a team of Global Canopy (and SEI) communications staff assigned to work on Trase communications, ensuring delivery against communications objectives to the required quality and accuracy.
- Communicate key insights on the sustainability of supply chains from analysis of Trase data, including through our flagship annual Yearbook (yearbook2018.trase.earth), to industry and government leaders, and key opinion formers and the media.
- Oversee the delivery of the outputs as set out in the Trase communications strategy and plans to the agreed deadlines, identified audiences and required quality and accuracy.
- Monitor and identify opportunities to communicate Trase to key audiences as presented by the news cycle, and stakeholder and public discourse, positioning Trase as a key resource in creating high levels of transparency and accountability across the agricultural commodity sector and the finance behind it.
- Establish KPIs and monitor performance of communications outputs, keeping the Trase Management Team updated on a regular basis.
- Manage external communications agencies and consultants working in support of Trase.
- Maintain oversight and input to decision making regarding the creation, management and expenditure of communications budgets associated with Trase.
- Advise on and develop the communications elements of funding proposals related to Trase.
KEY SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND ATTRIBUTES
The ideal candidate will have strong experience working in the field of environmental communications at a senior level with a proven track record of leading a team to deliver on an ambitious communications strategy.
- At least five years of experience in a lead communications role on issues related to sustainability and/or global trade.
- Leadership and team-management skills, with a proven track record of leading a team to deliver on an ambitious communications strategy.
- Experience working with data and digital projects, and translating data-rich insights into compelling stories
- Superb writing and editing skills, and ability to present clearly and effectively to different audiences including senior decision makers.
- A strong media network, and proven experience of selling in stories to journalists.
- A strong understanding of ‘forest risk commodities’ and associated sustainability risks and opportunities.
- Effective under pressure and ability to deliver against tight deadlines.
- Proficiency in Spanish, Portuguese, Bahasa or Chinese.
- Experience communicating in different cultural and political environments.
ABOUT GLOBAL CANOPY
Global Canopy is an innovative environmental organisation that targets the market forces destroying tropical forests.
We focus on the production, trade and financing of the key commodities responsible for agricultural expansion into tropical forests. We provide data, insights and guidance for companies, investors and governments already taking positive action, and help shine a light on those that need to do more. And we target the trillions of dollars of investment and lending which contribute to destroying forests and other vital natural capital, while highlighting new opportunities for sustainable investment.
SEI is a world-leading international non-profit research and policy organisation that tackles environment and development challenges. It aims to connect science and decision-making to develop solutions for a sustainable future for all.
The work of SEI spans climate, water, air, and land-use issues, and integrates evidence and perspectives on governance, the economy, gender and human health.
SEI’s approach is highly collaborative: stakeholder involvement is at the heart of its efforts to build capacity, strengthen institutions and equip partners for the long term.
Salary: Not Specified
Job Category: Communications
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Location: Oxford
How to Apply:
Please write to firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV and a cover letter, explaining your motivation and how you meet the essential criteria for the job, and including your salary expectation. Please note that early applications are advised.
Interviews are scheduled to be held in early September 2018 at Global Canopy’s office in central Oxford.