There were errors with your submission. Please re-check your details and try again.
Director of Programmes & Partnerships: Leadership role at an innovative NGO to tackle the causes of global deforestation
Global Canopy is an innovative environmental organisation that targets the market forces driving two thirds of tropical deforestation worldwide. Our mission is to accelerate progress towards a deforestation-free global economy – through improved transparency, innovative finance and strategic communications. Since 2001, we have catalysed new thinking and action by leading governments, companies and investors worldwide.
We are recruiting a Programmes and Partnerships Director to help lead in the areas of Programme Strategy and planning, Development of new programme areas, and external relationships and fundraising – as well as playing a central role in the management of the organisation.
Full details are in our recruitment pack available on Global Canopy’s website.
The Programmes and Partnerships Director is the lead accountable person for the strategic focus, sustainability and impact of Global Canopy’s Programmes.
Your role will be to effectively operationalise the Global Canopy’s strategy into programmes which are well resourced, well managed, and that deliver their expected outcomes. This will require an outward-facing orientation, maximising our ability as an organisation to enable, influence and increase accountability for the private and public sector organisations that we target.
You will have an exciting combination of responsibilities, building out the structures to ensure high quality delivery in line with agreed objectives, coaching and mentoring staff, and supporting the organisation’s ongoing development. You will add value to discussions around organisational structure, helping Global Canopy to improve collaboration between programmatic teams to effectively and efficiently deliver high quality work.
You will be someone who naturally builds positive relationships across the organisation, able to work collaboratively and create buy-in through influence and persuasion. You will be adaptable – flexing your approach to different situations and people. Some programmes need close support to develop, while established programmes need both space to deliver, and supportive challenge and help to learn and improve.
As a member of the management team, you will play a leading role in setting the culture of the organisation and living Global Canopy’s values. You will have shared responsibility for our organisational capability and ensuring that Global Canopy continues to evolve according to the strategy that you will help to set. You will attend quarterly board meeting – with accountability for programme implementation and impact.
Partnerships are at the heart of how Global Canopy works and key to maximising our impact. This includes both funding partnerships – taking a lead role on working with large institutional funders – as well as the key institutional partnerships that are central to delivering our programmes and achieving change.
>>> Responsibilities :
1) Programme strategy and planning – 20%
- Programmatic strategy, planning and impact – responsible for ensuring each programme has effective programme design, planning, monitoring, evaluation and learning.
- Ensuring risks to delivery, impact and financial performance are understood and well managed, reporting back to SMT and Board as appropriate.
2) Development of new programme areas – 25%
- Development of new programme areas in line with Global Canopy’s strategic goals. Collaborative programme design from concept to implementation.
3) External Representation & fundraising – 25%
- Programmatic funding – building and maintaining strong relationships with donors, setting targets and overseeing the funding pipeline.
- External representation for Global Canopy as an institution, and for its major programmes.
- Creating and maintaining strong networks with relevant stakeholders, funders, and other organisations to help achieve our goals.
4) Management – 30%
- Resourcing, capability and structure of the programmes team including line management of relevant programme staff.
- Developing a culture of impact and learning and embedding this across the programmes team.
- Member of GC’s Management team, with shared responsibility for overall organisational success.
Essential Skills & Experience:
- Able to think strategically, and operationalise strategic plans
- Able to manage and oversee diverse programmes of activities, including creation of appropriate planning, reporting and monitoring processes.
- Experience of building relationships, and working in close partnerships with other organisations to leverage impact, increase delivery and raise funds.
- Experience of communications, outreach and advocacy, achieving impact by influencing and enabling other organisations.
- Able to build, develop and manage diverse & high performing teams. Management within a matrix organisation; able to inspire teams to collaborate on complex projects.
- Communication skills, across the organisation and with donors and stakeholders at the highest level.
- Knowledge of project management frameworks, and best practice in monitoring, evaluation and learning.
- Experience in developing, managing and leading programmes within an NGO setting
- Experience working on global projects and with people from different backgrounds and cultures.
- Experience in several of the following areas: forests and climate change, sustainability, international development, and achieving change in the private sector.
- Prepared to travel overseas.
Essential Behavioural Competencies:
- Coaching and mentoring approach.
- Builds positive relationships.
- Works collaboratively, creating buy-in through influence and persuasion.
- Able to challenge in a supportive way, helping others to learn
- Solutions/Action oriented; able to focus on results, not get distracted and to see work through to completion.
- Knowledge/Experience of working with the finance sector, especially on sustainability
Salary: £50,000 - £55,000
Job Category: Environment
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Location: Anywhere
Keywords: Finance, Innovation, Leadership, Management, stakeholder engagement, supply chains
Job Expires: Endless