There were errors with your submission. Please re-check your details and try again.
Supporting refugees and young people seeking asylum
Breadwinners – Treasurer Trustee Role
Breadwinners is a small but multi award winning and ambitious charity, and not for profit social enterprise, providing employment and training opportunities for refugees and young people seeking asylum.
We currently run two programmes, ‘Breadwinners’ for refugees and ‘Risers’ for young people seeking asylum. Both programmes operate from our unique artisan bread stalls in markets across London, where we sell organic high quality bread with 100% of the profit going back into the charity to power our work.
Our ‘Breadwinners’ programme provides refugees with their first employment in the UK on our stalls, giving them a safe and supportive place to work as they build their confidence, and grow their UK based work experience before moving onto full time employment or setting up their own business. Our ‘Risers’ programme supports young people seeking asylum who are not allowed to work, to volunteer on the stalls, gaining transferable skills and work experience, while also being enrolled in a programme of training and mentoring to support them in their integration in the UK, and journey into work.
Our impact is impressive. Our young ‘Risers’ report increased confidence and resilience; greater English language and transferable work experience skills; and a stronger connection to, and part of their local community. Our ‘Breadwinners’ programme has enabled 100% of our Breadwinners into full time employment or to run their own businesses. We currently have seven bread stalls working across London and have secured funding to open many more in 2019 – 2020.
Becoming a Trustee
The Breadwinners Foundation Board of Trustees work together to ensure the charity is run properly and has the biggest possible impact. As a trustee you will have the opportunity to support our strategic development, make decisions about what the charity will do, and oversee its finances. Breadwinners is a young and small charity, so your expertise will make a real impact on how the charity grows, and the people we support.
Breadwinners is growing and as we do, we want to ensure that our Board is equipped to support our staff and beneficiaries. We wish to recruit a Treasurer to our board to oversee our financial operations and ensure we are compliant and adhering to best practices in the sector.
Ideal candidates attributes
- Passionate about supporting refugees and young people seeking asylum
- Knowledge and experience of current and fundraising finance practice relevant to voluntary and community organisations.
- Knowledge of bookkeeping and financial management
- Good financial analysis skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly
- Self starter with commitment, motivation and drive to upskill as needed to support the charity
Alongside the general responsibilities of a Trustee, you will:
- Liaise with relevant staff to obtain an overview of the ongoing financial affairs of the organisation to ensure its financial viability and that all processes are legal, constitutional and within accepted accounting practice.
- Support the Director in the production of an annual budget and propose its adoption at the last meeting of the previous financial year.
- Support the DIrector to ensure proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures are in place.
- Support the Director to monitor and report on the financial health of the organisation at committee meetings, making fellow committee members aware of their financial obligations and taking a lead in interpreting financial data to them
- Oversee the production of necessary financial reports/returns, accounts and audits
- Available to dedicate at least 8 hrs per quarter to Breadwinners work.
- Available to attend Trustee board meetings on weekdays afternoons 5 times a year.
- Committed to a 2 years term on the Board.
Salary: Not Specified
Job Category: Finance/Accountancy
Job Type: Part-Time
Job Location: Anywhere
Job Expires: Endless
How to Apply:
We want to encourage applications from people with personal, professional or volunteering experience, and welcome informal chats about the role - please call Martin Cosarinsky on 07783996918.
To apply please send cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use “Breadwinners - Treasurer” as the email subject. We will arrange interviews for great applications as they come in. No more applications will be taken after the 11th of November 2019.